Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Update!

Some exciting new things happening in my life (maybe an excuse for being MIA recently).  I've stated in previous posts about how money hasn't exactly been flowing in like I'd like and so I've decided to do a few things about it.  I've started to really focus on my Makeup Artist career because ultimately, I'd like to make enough from that to stop working at my full time job.

About a week and a half ago, I got a bunch of my girl friends together and had a little makeup day.  I think there were 7 people all together and I spent about 6 hours putting makeup on my friends.  Then my best friend, Morgan who is a professional photographer, set up a little studio in my house and had a photo shoot with each of the girls.  It was so much fun getting everyone together to do that and I can't wait to see how the pictures turned out.

Along with that, I have decided to create a new website where I can direct prospective clients to see my portfolio, prices, and contact information.  I'm actually pretty proud of it and it turned out looking nice.  I'm hoping to get some business from that.  New business cards have also been ordered and I've also set up a Facebook Page to get myself out there as well.  You may notice the new addition to this page...go ahead, you can click like.  Look around at the pictures, share with your friends...it'll make me a very happy girl.

My biggest obstacle in being successful with doing makeup is getting myself out there.  I also have a slight fear of rejection but I've decided that I am getting too old to let that get in my way.  I'm hoping that all this time and effort (and money) will pay off in the long run and I'll get to have a career that I love.

Speaking of careers that I love, guess where I started working?  Ulta!  I applied online in the beginning of May, went for an interview about 3 weeks after that and a month after that, I finally got hired.  I believe that persistance really does pay off because I stalked the crap out of the manager at that store (just like I did at MAC).  I've only been working there for about a week and haven't done a whole lot yet.  I will be working in the Prestige department where all the fancy fun makeup is and I've gotten to do applications on a few people.  It's really nice to be able to talk about things that interest you when you're working instead of the most boring topic in the world - office supplies :(.  I hope that this will also advance my career in makeup artistry but if not, at least it's something that I like doing.

Last but not least, I have my first wedding of the season next weekend and I'm so excited for it.  I ended up doing the trial last Saturday for the bride and 2 bridesmaids.  They came to my house and we had a lot of fun trying on different makeup and taking pictures.  I can't wait until next Saturday when I get to do it all again (and then some).  I'm going to include some of my favorite shots below but you can see the rest on my Facebook Page.

Here is the bride, Katy.  She wanted something glamorous for the wedding but Saturday was also her bachelorette party.  The eyes will be toned down the day of but she asked for a little bit more since they were going out to a club that night.  What do you think of those red lips?


My friend Holly (the Maid Of Honor) let me use the same lashes from her photo shoot the week before and they were not cooperating.  She still turned out looking really pretty and had a good time. 


Amy wanted something soft and smoky that didn't look too done up.  She ended up looking very feminine and this was my favorite look of the day. 


I'll be sure to post a bunch of pictures from Katy's wedding as well as the pictures from the photo shoot last weekend.  Let me know if you want tutorials from any of these looks.  Until next time, lots of love.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new job Amanda..sounds like you're following your dream and I wish you well in your new ventures. The last look is my favourite too!

    ReplyDelete