Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Top 10 MAC Eye Shadows

I always wonder what everyone's favorites are when it comes to makeup.  It helps me decide what I should purchase if I'm trying to decide between two different shades.  I thought I'd share mine today.  Seeing as how I am a 26 year old woman working in the business world, you'll find my list is mostly comprised of neutrals but I think that's a good thing.  More people are going to be wearing neutrals than bright colorful shadows on a daily basis.

Naked Lunch: Frost Finish
I first fell in love with this color about 3 years ago when my friend changed her hair from long curly red locks to a short, blonde, asymmetrical bob.  We went into the MAC store and she said to the MA "I just got new hair, I need new makeup.  If I like what you do, I'll buy everything you use".  Well, needless to say this was one of the colors that was used, and she loved it and then so did I.  It a soft neutral pink with shimmer and something about it just screams bridal to me.




Blanc Type: Matte2 finish
This is my perfect brow highlight because it is my skin color.  If I want a really quick and easy look I'll sweep this from my lashes to my brows and contour with a light matte brown in the crease and I'm good to go.  I look polished but not over done.  I love how blend-able this is and how it can tame crease colors that have wandered a little too far north.  It's like an eraser/blending color all in one.





Saddle: Matte Finish
I use Saddle as my crease color with almost every neutral look.  It's a warmer brown that gives depth to my eyes creating a crease that I do not actually have.  This is also a pretty good brow color for me since my hair is sort of auburn right now.







Woodwinked: Veluxe Pearl Finish
Has anyone used this color and not loved it?  Veluxe Pearl and Matte2 are my favorite finishes from MAC because they blend well.  It is a beautiful dark gold metallic color.  I like this shade because of its versatility.  This can be used as a lid color, crease color, eye liner or even an inner corner highlight for darker skin tones.






Expensive Pink: Veluxe Pearl Finish
Expensive Pink is a green eye'd girl's best friend.  The peachy pink color is the perfect shade to bring out green or blue eyes.  I like pairing this with cooler plum colors in the crease for a colorful smoky eye.  I always get compliments when I wear this shade.








Sable: Frost Finish
I think frost eyeshadows are either hit or miss.  Some are very pigmented and smooth like Veluxe Pearl and some are a little chalky and kind of hard to really pack on the color.  Sable falls into the former category.  It is a brown with a slightly plum undertone that adds a little punch to a neutral eye.  I love this shade in the crease and as eye liner.






Tempting: Luster Finish
I'm usually not crazy about Lusters because the pigmentation can be poor and they tend to have a lot of fall out but that is not the case with Tempting.  I love this color for a deep brown smoky eye.  It's pigmented enough that it's worth dealing with any potential fall out (although fall out is very minimal with this shade).  I like wearing this on the lower lash line in lieu of eyeliner because it gives great definition with just a little bit of shimmer.





Sketch: Velvet

I like to use Sketch as an eyeliner or to deepen up the crease when I'm doing a purple eye.  I like that it's slightly softer and warmer than using black but still packs enough punch for a great smokey eye.








Steamy: Frost
I rarely like to use cool colors like blues or greens on my eyes because they do not compliment them very well.  Steamy is the exception but only when I use it as an eyeliner on my lower lashes.  This is my shadow of choice to pump up any neutral eye look.  I usually layer with a blue or green liner underneath and Steamy will either take on blue or green tones depending on the base.





Satin Taupe: Frost
I kind of always thought that I didn't like this color or it didn't suit me well because it's such a cool brown but whenever I wear it (usually as a smokey eye), I always love it.  I keep this in my blues and greens pallet so I often forget I even have it and therefore rarely use it.  It was the first MAC eyeshadow I ever bought and I can see why it's one of those must own colors.  I like it because it is so wearable and actually compliments any skin tone.





What are your favorite eyeshadows, MAC or otherwise.  I really do like seeing what other people are into and why.

2 comments:

  1. This was helpful, speaking as a girl who doesn't own any MAC eyeshadows...as hard as that is to believe. Right now my go to no brainer shadow is NARS ashes to ashes, a great taupe with a bit of sheen but not frosty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tracy Really, not a single one? How come?

    ReplyDelete